CentOS 5.5 Released
17th May 2010
The latest version of CentOS is now available.
CentOS 5.5 includes these new features:
- Kickstart improvements to logging post-install
- New hardware driver support (pmcraid, ibmvfs, bfa, be2iscsi)
- Updated hardware support (too many to list, but includes wireless driver rebase)
- Support for Intel's Boxboro-EX and Boxboro-MC, AMD's Magny-Cours and IBM's Power7 processor
- Run-time memory allocation for KVM guests (memory ballooning)
- PCI passthrough improvements (hotswapping PCI devices, 1:1 performance improvements)
- Detecting kernel tasks stuck in the uninterruptible sleep state (D-state)
- Improved CFQ I/O scheduler performance
- Kernel CIFS updates and new GFS mount option (for troubleshooting)
- GDB, Valgrind and Systemtap updates for improved debugging
- Software updates (openoffice, metacity, samba, freeradius)
CentOS 5.5 is available at no charge with all our servers.
CentOS is an Enterprise-class Linux Distribution derived from sources freely provided to the public by a prominent North American Enterprise Linux vendor. CentOS conforms fully with the upstream vendors redistribution policy and aims to be 100% binary compatible. (CentOS mainly changes packages to remove upstream vendor branding and artwork.) CentOS is free.